The Clockworks

The insider on what makes us tick...

Saturday, May 29, 2004

Home sweet home

Hot and humid summers. Hot and humid winters. Hot and humid springs. Hot and humid falls.

This is my first attempt at a blogger post, and I must say it frightens me. I feel like I'm a bit out of the loop. Posts about dating and 24 and Nickleback songs that sound exactly the same... it sounds so foreign to me. I'm married with a kid, the most popular shows in our house are "While You Were Out" and "Clean Sweep", and for my birthday my sister got me a "Philadelphia Chickens" children's music cd. Yes, mine is a very different world. As far as I can tell, the only thing I may have in common with some of you is my love of Texas.

We just moved to the heart of Texas, Austin. Our suburb is just far enough away from the lights of the city that stars at night really are big and bright. The days are hot, the nights are comfortable, and AC is a joy. You say hello to people and end up talking to complete strangers for half an hour. Neighbors come and knock on your door two days after you move in and apologize because they couldn't wait any longer to meet you. Simple things like this are what make Texas the great state it is. I'm not a proud Texan because of the size of the state or any of that "everything's bigger in Texas" mumbo-jumbo. I'm proud to be a Texan because of the little things.

We moved from Utah. As we let people know of our plans, some of the most common responses we got were, "Won't you miss the mountains?" and "Ugh, you know how hot and humid it is there, don't you?" and so on. Number one, I never really used the mountains when I was there, and half the people that asked me that question didn't either. Number two, I'll take a hot and humid climate over a perennial cold shoulder, any day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home